Alice? There’s an App for that!
Posted by: Mary Burkey
Audiobook apps are a reality – check out Blackstone’s awesome iTunes collection of titles created using the Folium enhancedAudio engine, developed by Folium Partners. The first batch of titles includes Alice in Wonderland, read by Michael York – a perfect tie-in to the movie release! Try out the look & feel of the incredible app interface in this Blackstone Audio demo. Intuitive playback control? Check! Enhanced content such as author bios, reader guides, triva, & more? Check! Scrolling slide show of artwork or photo illustrations synced to text? Check!
Is the enhancedAudio engine the Holy Grail of one-click download audiobook ease I’ve been looking for? I predict that this audiobook app will be a major, major innovation in audiobook publishing and distribution. But I won’t know until I have a report from an iPhone or iTouch test subject – any volunteers out there willing to report in the comments? I hope that Folium (or a crafty competitor) has development of Android, Windows Mobile & BlackBerry apps on the fast track so that those of us with non-Apple devices can share in the one-click app awesomeness. This list of Alice app features will make any audiobook addict start drooling!
• EXPERIENCE. About three hours of narration. Created as a Folium enhancedAudio™ edition, this book is packed with extra functions and features not found on lesser players. Easily skip back to rehear a missed bit, or zip through the chapters at lightning speed.
• SLEEP TIMER. Have you ever fallen asleep watching TV or listening to a book? If so, you’ll love this feature. Once set—if you fall asleep—the book will stop, place a bookmark, and allow you to jump back to where you probably began dozing.
• CLEAR & ELEGANT DESIGN. Simple, clean, intuitive, and smarter than average.
• CHAPTER TIMINGS. Always know how much time it will take to finish a chapter. Plus, the progress bar at the top of the screen shows how far into the book you’ve come.
• OFFLINE LISTENING. This app is airplane-ready. Once downloaded, you can listen uninterrupted, with no threat from a lost network connection. Downloads are usually just 5-10 minutes, but depend upon network speeds.
• AUTO-BOOKMARKING. The player remembers where you stopped listening and returns to that exact spot when you open the book again.
• PLAYER CONTROLS. Includes listen (play), pause, multi-speed fast forward/rewind, jump a bit ahead/back, chapter skip, volume control, and chapter/bookmark browser. There is also a “scrub” bar that moves you to any point inside the chapter with just a tap.
• TELL-A-FRIEND. An easy way to recommend the book to your friends or Twitter feed.
• FEEDBACK. Share your ideas for additional books, and see them become reality. We are very responsive to our listeners and appreciate all feedback and ideas.