Dr. Seuss iPhone app
Posted by: Mary Burkey
They say eBook, I say audiobook readalong to go – all for $3.99. Oceanhouse Media has three innovative Dr. Seuss hybrids that combine the classic illustrations with narration, highlighting the text in sync with the audio. Watch the video to see how it works!
Here’s more information from the Oceanhouse Media website:
New features only available in this e-book include professional narration, background audio and enlarged artwork for each scene. To promote reading in young children, individual words are highlighted as the story is read and words zoom up when pictures are touched. By combining the original text and artwork of Dr. Seuss with features that entertain and promote reading, this e-book appeals to readers of all ages.
Two ways to read this e-book:
* “Read to Me” — listen to the narrated story with words highlighted as they are read
* “Read it Myself” — read the book in its traditional form
* Picture / Word association — words zoom up and are spoken when pictures are touched
* Professional audio narration
* Custom background audio for each scene
* Pages pan & zoom to accentuate the beautiful, original art of Dr. Seuss
Plus, there’s a Dr. Seuss Camera app for fun cell phone picture customization:
Create zany and whimsical Cat in the Hat Cards, using your Camera or images from your Photo Library.
Take pictures with Cat in the Hat characters or choose to become the Cat in the Hat, the playful Things or even Sally or her brother. Personalize cards with comical and colorful stamps, borders and classic Seussian text. Cat in the Hat Cards can be e-mailed to friends & family or saved to the Photo Library.
Children and adults alike will enjoy creating whimsical Cat in the Hat Cards.
* 16 cards based on original artwork by Dr. Seuss
* Take a picture with your face in the cutout or alongside the characters
* Load images from your Photo Library
* Add crazy borders and stamps to your cards
* Move, rotate, scale and delete stamps to further customize your cards
* Save cards to your Photo Library or e-mail them to family & friends
So what does this mean for children’s picture book publishing & audiobook readalongs? Are we creating app-hungry toddlers who, when encountering an old-fashioned paper book, will try to tap the words for enhanced content? Will audiobook publishers replace that time-honored phrase “Listen for this sound to turn the page” with “Now swipe the screen for more content?” Will kids scorn characters that they cannot interact with in a virtual world? As a grandma with a Cat in the Hat- loving toddler, I must admit to a desire for trying out this out, but feel a somewhat Luddite-like relief that I can’t download onto my Android phone – this is an Apple iPhone app only (at least right now). Interestingly enough, Oceanhouse Media’s original efforts are Psychic Oracle apps. Now that’s one way to predict the future of audiobook applications
I would love to hear from those of you who’ve kid-tested any of these new-fangled hybrid cell-phone picture book+audio downloads (or those of you who shudder at the thought) in the comments below!