The Goddess speaks: You have the right to read with your ears!
Posted by: Mary Burkey
Dr. Teri Lesesne, better known as the Goddess of YA Literature, declared a YA Reader’s Bill of Rights at the recent ALAN conference during her keynote speech as the ALAN Award winner:
YA Reader’s Bill of Rights
1. Right to read YA Literature at any age
2. Right to read extensively instead of intensively
3. Right to demand changes in the literary canon for the 21st century
4. Right to read with their ears
5. Right to see the movie or play instead of reading the book
6. Right to read books that disturb them and especially their parents
7. Right to have access to books at school and at home
8. Right to read books with lots of pictures in them
9. Right to refuse to read a proscribed book
10. Right to demand a redefinition of what it means to read
Bless you, Teri, for championing every listener’s right to listen to literature!